Remarques

Episcopal Church & Visual Arts

Encouraging visual arts in the life of the Episcopal Church



To Post: click on "Comments" below the post to which you wish to respond; select Identity "Other" or "Anonymous" (not "Blogger"); do not fill in Username and Password; type your post, providing at least your first name; preview and post.

My Photo
Name:

ECVA is a community of artists, arts supporters, art historians and theologians acting in support of our common life in the Episcopal Church. It encourages local artists and visual arts communities, assists churches in integrating the visual arts into their worship space and liturgy, develops forums to explore the theology of visual art, and creates a heightened awareness of the spiritual role of the visual arts in an individual's life and in the life of the church.

Friday, December 09, 2005

St. James Episcopal Cathedral Call for Entries: Enemies

Here is an engaging topic for visual exploration: the notion of our enemies.

Historically, individuals, families, nations, and cultures have struggled to differentiate friend from foe. More often than not, people have found it easier to define themselves by who they disapprove of, what they fear, and why they hate: in short, their enemies. Richard Gage and Paulette McDaniels -- in collaboration with the St. James Episcopal Cathedral's Arts & Music Ministry -- are organizing a six-week exhibition and invite you to join them in exploring the notion of enemies in painting, sculpture, photography, writing, or other media that can be displayed in a gallery setting. A limited number of pieces will be exhibited at St. James Episcopal Cathedral in Chicago's River North neighborhood during Lent 2006, March 1 -April 14. Sales inquiries will be referred to artists. Deadline for submission is January 15, 2006. For more information contact Richard Gage at RichardGage51@sbcglobal.net or 773-463-5456.

Who are your enemies? Who do you disapprove of or fear? How might you depict them in art, and how might such a study change your perspective of the enemy?

Jan Neal
ECVA Program Director

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read this call, my mind envisioned all sorts of images. I wondered if the people from St. James might feel strongly challenged by all the different types of entries that a call like this could elicit. It is an interesting topic, enemies. For me, the answer is the regiment of enemies I can find within myself. Somewhere between my perception of the ideal self and the person I find myself being at times. The moments when I judge to quickly are like enemies in my attempt to be open to all that life can offer. Perhaps, I find it too difficult to label anyone else as the enemy because the only one I can truly control is myself.

Wishing everyone peace,

Kate from Maryland

4:40 AM  
Blogger Jan Neal said...

Kate, what an interesting perspective I never considered. I had visions of the enemy without (he who is out to hurt me), but your vision is of an even greater enemy within. Meditation on that perspective could produce some powerful visual images.

This call makes me think of how we tend to turn enemies into symbols of all that is evil. I wonder if working toward a visual image would make me begin to question not how destructive my enemy is, rather how much power I give them to my on detriment.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SITE FEED